Thursday, June 23, 2005

Music Questions? I'm In! ...

Henry, a long-ago pal from so long ago that I can't even remember how old I was when I first met him, answered some music questions on his blog (http://htsblog.blogspot.com/) and passed the baton to a few of his friends. His Qs and my As, then:

What is my total volume of music?
~ 800 CDs.

What is the last CD I bought?
Like Henry, I have several possible answers. In this age of iTunes, the last complete CD I bought there was "A Love Song for Bobby Long," the soundtrack from the movie starring John Travolta and Scarlett Johansson. The last CD I bought in a store? Hmm. Um, wow. I'm not sure. Duran Duran's "Astronaut," maybe? From BMG, I recently received a bevy of U2 discs and one by Patricia Barber.

What song is playing right now?
When I first started this entry, it was "When We Dance" by Sting. But then I got a phone call, and now it's "Je Sto Vicino A Te" by Pino Daniele. Italian guy, don'tcha know?

What five songs do I listen to a lot because they are special to me?
Well, if we go by the iTunes counter, the top 5 are: "Send Your Love" by Sting featuring Vincente Amigo, "Send Your Love" by Sting, "Chemicals" by Icehouse (an as-yet-unpublished tune by Iva Davies), "Whenever I Say Your Name" by Sting with Mary J. Blige, and "Never Coming Home" by Sting. This is completely weird, as all the Sting tunes are from "Sacred Love," which I like a lot, but which I haven't listened to in ages. So clearly, this iTunes method is skewed.

So, to answer this question another way:

"Forever" by Kenny Loggins, though I still can't tell you why.

(Wow, this is much harder than I thought it would be.)

"Solitude" by Dave Huizenga. A CD of his music is in the CD player next to my bed; I go to bed listening to it, and my alarm is set to play this track in the morning. I fell in love with it the first time I heard it, and wrote to tell him so. He replied that it's one of his favorite compositions, too. I am more in sync with him musically than with anyone else in my life.

"If I Had You" by Nnenna Freelon. It's the song I recorded for Dave for his 50th birthday. It was for him that I broke through my near-lifelong fear of singing in front of another person.

"The Curtain Falls" by Kevin Spacey. I'm so proud of him for making "Beyond the Sea" and amazed at how talented he is as a vocalist. I love singing this song.

"Icicles" by Charles Bisharat. From the Windham Hill album "On a Winter's Night." Beautiful piano and violin. It just speaks to me.

"Mountain Majesty" by Gary Remal Malkin. In 2000, when I lived downtown, I housesat for my brother and sister-in-law for a few nights and made the commute into the city every day, to gauge if moving this far from Chicago was something I really wanted to do. The first night, lying in the unusually dark darkness, under the whir of the ceiling fan, I heard this piece. It's was like a lullabye. In that moment, I decided to buy this house.

OK, that's six songs, not five.

(And in a moment of iTunes synchronicity, after playing "Mountain Magjesty" while writing this, "Forever" by Kenny Loggins just shuffled up next. I have 2,377 songs in iTunes. Honestly, it's like iTunes knows what I'm thinking.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home