Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I Am Done With Milk ...

A few years ago, I interviewed Dr. Neal Barnard, founder and president of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, for a story I wrote for the Chicago Tribune about girls being given massive doses of estrogen in order to arrest their growth, and their ensuing health problems later in life.

Last year, he was in town for a book signing and had the chance to sit down with him to talk about an idea I have for a piece which really might be a book-in-waiting. But that's another story. Dr. Neal was in town to promote "Breaking the Food Seduction." I've read it, and it makes a lot of sense. Dr. Neal is vegan, which I know strikes many people as extreme if not downright crazy, but what he wrote (and has written -- he's authored several books) made enough sense that I thought his approach was worth a try.

In February, I was in Washington D.C. for work and arranged a lunch with Jeanne McVey, Dr. Neal's communications person, who had been very helpful over the past few years, setting up interviews and such. Over lunch, she told me about an upcoming press conference Dr. Neal would be holding along with the other authors of a new study, stating that, basically, dairy is non-esssential in our diets and shouldn't be recommended as part of our nutitional guidelines.

"That should piss off the dairy industry," I said.

(Read the PCRM's take on milk here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/Info_on_Veg_Diets/milk.html; Need more evidence? OK, then read this, too: http://www.pcrm.org/health/Info_on_Veg_Diets/dairy.html; If you're saying, "But kids need milk to grow!", allow me to say, "No, they don't! Read this!": http://www.pcrm.org/health/Info_on_Veg_Diets/vegetarian_kids.html)


Still, I continued to drink milk. Not much, but I'd still buy it from time to time.

And then, this morning, I read this:

http://www.milksucks.com/pus.html

EWWW!

I've waffled on my use of soy milk. Sometimes I buy it, sometimes I don't. Soy milk, here I come. (Of course, I also read this morning that women who are trying to get pregnant should avoid soy milk, but right now, that's not me.) (And as Lewis Black points out, soy milk isn't really soy milk, it's soy juice, but no one would buy soy juice. Still, I'd rather drink soy juice than diluted pus.)

1 Comments:

Blogger OneMan said...

I don't really drink much milk anymore either but the PCRM isn't all it's cracked up to be.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm?article=168

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home