Thursday, April 21, 2005

Anti-Stress ...

I don't receive many comments on my blog. Perhaps those who read it are simply awe-struck by my brilliant prose and rendered temporarily incapable of typing. Perhaps few are reading. Who can know?

But today, I received a comment from Dr. Leonard McCoy (he of "Star Trek" fame -- you can imagine my delight!), calling me out on my use of asterisks to emphasize words in "More Than A Movie ... ." Dr. McCoy -- aw hell, this is a blog, it's informal, he won't mind if I call him Lenny -- suggested that it's "a fairly common trait among writers who are trying to find their voice."

Which would seem to suggest that Lenny doesn't think I've found mine.

So I thought I'd take a moment to reassure him that I don't use asterisks in my professional writing, and that my voice feels rather firmly found.

Still, at a time when the First Amendment teeters, terrifyingly, on the brink of oblivion, it's nice to see someone taking the time to tell me he thinks my asterisk usage is not nifty.

For what it's worth, Lenny, I had a teacher in college who allotted each of her students, for each of their entire writing lives, only two exclamation points, and I've completely blown that, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home