Sunday, March 20, 2005

One Week Anniversary ...

I created my blog one week ago today. I've decided that blogs are a mixed blessing for compulsive people. It's a lovely thing to have control over part of your publishing life. The capability, however, brings with it its own breed of performance anxiety. I don't want to be one of those bloggers who lets down visitors. Nothing like going to a site and seeing that it hasn't been updated in days, weeks, months.

So I think, "I have to come up with things to write about." And then some days, that seems hard. And then I think, "Why? Everything you write about doesn't have to be earth-shaking. You can write about anything, banal though it may be." But who wants to read about banalities? So then I think, "Maybe my life is uninteresting." Yikes.

But no. That can't be it. I have interesting friends, and enough family drama these days to write a new soap opera. But are blogs the place for dirty laundry?

About a year and a half ago, I read Sting's memoir, "Broken Music." It pissed me off, in a jealous way. He's a great writer. He's a great singer. He's a great songwriter. Why does one guy get so much talent? What's that about? But while he was doing press for the book, he said that he thinks everyone should write their autobiography, whether or not it's ever published. He thinks it's a good way to get in touch with who you are. That Sting ... Wise man.

So I made a list of life events as they came to me. Interestingly enough, the first part of the list is exclusively embarrassing moments. Maybe writers don't need therapists. They can just write, and then mine the results for information. I made myself remember of all manner of memories, and before I knew it, had filled four pages with entries, each just a line or two long. Maybe that list will be blog fodder.

Maybe tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger OneMan said...

So far so good Beth. Now if I only knew about this singing thing years ago :-)

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Doreen said...

Beth ... I LOVE the fact that you can spot talent and creativity from a mile away ... in others .... Please do not forget to look in the MIRROR from time to time and see the *Multi* talented (cook, sew, decorate, sing, write,and knows something about most everything) person named BETH !!!!!!!!!!!!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home