Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Georgia Brown's in D.C. ...

Oh, do I have a restaurant for you!

I spent most of the week in D.C., working. The first night, Bill and I had dinner at a very mediocre Italian joint. The ambience was good. The food was not. The best part of the meal was dessert: fresh strawberries and sabayon. The rest of the meal was entirely forgettable. I won’t bore you with the details.

Next night, Thai. Greasy Thai. Who knew Thai could be greasy?

So on night three, I could scarcely face another bad experience on Bad Restaurant Row. Bill and David had been to a place on their earlier trip to D.C. called Georgia Brown’s. So we hopped in a cab and arrived to the news that the wait was 45 minutes. We waited.

I am so glad we did.

I had a Ketel One on the rocks while we waited for our table.

We were seated and Bob appeared. I fell in love with Bob. So cool. Older guy, ponytail. He had a schtick, but it was great schtick. Bob brought warm cornbread sticks and biscuits with whipped peach honey butter for us to nosh while we perused the menu. We decided.

To start, I had the Low Country Louie: Lobster, crab, and shrimp (maybe the occasional bay scallop?) in a Creole mustard remoulade with fresh corn. Served in a martini glass. Outstanding. So fresh, the corn burst when you bit into it. And the mustard was perfectly subtle, not overpowering the seafood.

Main course was roasted chicken with smashed potatoes and bacon green beans (delightfully smoky!) in a mushroom jus. Oh. My. God. Perfection. The chicken was roasted with rosemary, the perfect woodsy, earthy complement to the jus.

With both courses, a glass of red zinfandel. Not the usual choice to pair with seafood and chicken, but one of my favorite wines, so I was happy, if slightly non-traditional.

We were all full, but Bob’s dessert spiel was so good, we had to order something. So we shared a piece of Key lime pie (perfect silken heaven) over our coffee.

One of the best meals I’ve had, ever. You should go to D.C., just for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home